10 But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. 11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. 12 This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.”
I’m not sure about you, but I’d be terrified…
I just couldn’t imagine going about my normal business, and then all of the sudden:
1) an angel appears
2) the angel actually speaks to me
3) the angel has a message for me
4) the message is that I need a Savior
5) this Savior has been born
6) He was born today
7) the Savior happens to be a baby
8) the baby has just been born… in sheep town
9) the baby is in a barn right now
10) the Savior of the world is a baby wrapped, not in kingly garb, but in poor people rags
I probably would have considered the whole thing a hallucination and tried to forget about it.
Though if I was living the life of a shepherd in the time Jesus was born, I’d probably say to myself, “I’ll go check it out. What do I have to lose?”
The possibility of hearing good news of great joy tonight has me excited already.
Who doesn’t like to share good news?
How do you think you would have responded?